Health Tips For Senior Cat Care

Hi MTBG Friends,

Check each nail on their paws once a month. Senior cats may develop thickened nails and need nail clipping more often. Nails could easily in-grow into pads if not routinely checked.

Senior cats need assistance in fur removal. A good brushing once a month will remove undercoat fur and prevent matts from developing. Even short hair cats will benefit greatly from a good brush out.

Keep a check on your Senior Cats weight. Consult your veterinarian for any sudden weight loss. It would be good to have a physical exam and thyroid testing.

This photo is my 18 year old cat Lexi. She is one of four cats and 3 dogs in my household.

Check Mt Tabor Boarding & Grooming’s Facebook Page for more Pet Health Care Tips.

Linda Hofmann

Poisonous Holiday Plants

During the holidays there are many poisonous plants harmful to cats and dogs. Some plants to avoid at the holidays are Poinsettia Plants, Mistletoe and Holly, Christmas Trees, and Lillies and Daffodils.

Poinsettia Plants are mildly toxic to cats and dogs. If small amounts are ingested you will notice signs of an upset stomach. If large amounts become ingested the Poinsettia Plant may cause seizures.

Mistletoe and Holly are the most toxic holiday plants to cats and dogs. They are claimed to be moderately to severely toxic to animals.

Christmas Trees are considered mildly toxic to our pets. The tree oils can cause irritation to the pets mouth and stomach which leads to excess drooling and possibly vomiting.

Lillies and Daffodils such as, Amaryllis and Narcissus are also extremely harmful holiday plants. Amaryllis and Narcissus plants can cause symptoms such as, gastrointestinal problems, cardiac arrhythmia, kidney failure, and convulsions.

Pet owners beware. If your pets show any signs of unusual vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or excessive drooling check your holiday plants for missing leaves or chew spots. If your pet has ingested a poisonous holiday plant please call your Veterinarian and Poison Control immediately. To prevent them from eating these plants, place them out of reach to your pet and look up to see if any of your holiday plants are poisonous to your pet.

Pet Poison Help Line: (800) 213-6680
ASPCA: (888) 426-4435
Carolinas Poison Center: (800) 848-6946 (704) 355-4000
Duke Regional Poison Control Center: (800) 672-1697 (NC only) (919) 684-8111
Triad Poison Center, Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital: (800) 953-4001 (NC only) (919) 574-8105