Be sure to keep your furry family members safe and happy this Halloween with these pet safety tips.
- Keep Candy away from Pets
- Put Pets in an area where they can’t hear doorbells and trick-or-treaters
- Play Calming Music
- Put a Thundershirt on for Calming
- Give them a Special Pet Treat to enjoy
- Keep Cats and Dogs Inside
No tricks, just treats! Bring your costumed pet to Mt. Tabor Boarding and Grooming for Halloween Treats! Draw for prizes!
- Nail trims
During the holidays there are many poisonous plants harmful to cats and dogs. Some plants to avoid at the holidays are Poinsettia Plants, Mistletoe and Holly, Christmas Trees, and Lillies and Daffodils.
Poinsettia Plants are mildly toxic to cats and dogs. If small amounts are ingested you will notice signs of an upset stomach. If large amounts become ingested the Poinsettia Plant may cause seizures.
Mistletoe and Holly are the most toxic holiday plants to cats and dogs. They are claimed to be moderately to severely toxic to animals.
Christmas Trees are considered mildly toxic to our pets. The tree oils can cause irritation to the pets mouth and stomach which leads to excess drooling and possibly vomiting.
Lillies and Daffodils such as, Amaryllis and Narcissus are also extremely harmful holiday plants. Amaryllis and Narcissus plants can cause symptoms such as, gastrointestinal problems, cardiac arrhythmia, kidney failure, and convulsions.
Pet owners beware. If your pets show any signs of unusual vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or excessive drooling check your holiday plants for missing leaves or chew spots. If your pet has ingested a poisonous holiday plant please call your Veterinarian and Poison Control immediately. To prevent them from eating these plants, place them out of reach to your pet and look up to see if any of your holiday plants are poisonous to your pet.
Pet Poison Help Line: (800) 213-6680
ASPCA: (888) 426-4435
Carolinas Poison Center: (800) 848-6946 (704) 355-4000
Duke Regional Poison Control Center: (800) 672-1697 (NC only) (919) 684-8111
Triad Poison Center, Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital: (800) 953-4001 (NC only) (919) 574-8105